Subject: Version 1.7.5 of faces now available for testing.

From: Rich Burridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:36:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

After over ten years with no updates, there is finally a new version of 
faces available for testing. Consider it of beta quality. We are looking
for people to give us feedback when they try to build and use it on 
different flavours of Unix (or Linux ;-). Please provide us with bug 
reports and constructive critisism (either to this list or to
[email-masked]). Extra points will be given for bug fixes. 
You might even be asked to join the small development team working on faces.

Main new features in this v1.7.5 release (over the v1.6.1, November 1991 one):

* Only a single version now supported, which uses Gtk+/Gdk for the graphics.
* POP and IMAP support added.
* Now just supports .xbm and .xpm formated images (plus inline X-Face:'s).
* Clicking with the right mouse button over the faces window will bring
  up a Properties window.
* Adjusted to use autoconf/automake for configuration and building.
* Removed printer and users support, leaving just mail and custom script
  support. There are scripts available to monitor printers and users anyhow.
* Removed numerous files from the distribution, where later and greater
  versions were available separately from the www.cs.indiana.edu archives.
* Now released under a GNU LIBRARY GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (LGPL) license.

See the ChangeLog for a much more detailed list of all the changes made.

Currently, this version is only available via CVS. When it's stable, we
will add it to the main repository at: http://www.cs.indiana.edu/ftp/faces/

To get a copy of the v1.7.5 release, do the following:

   % setenv CVSROOT :pserver:[email-masked]:/cvs/faces
   % cvs login
   Password: <Return>
   % cvs checkout -r V1_7_5 faces

To build it, do the following:

   % cd faces
   % ./configure --prefix=/path/to/where/you/want/to/install/faces
   % gmake

Note that POP and IMAP support are disabled by default. See the INSTALL file 
for details of how to enable them, and for a list of all the other
configuration options (or do "./configure --help").

If for some reason this doesn't build for you, then you can rebuild all the
autoconf/automake files with:

   % cd faces
   % autogen.sh
   % ./configure --prefix=/path/to/where/you/want/to/install/faces
   % gmake 

Note that if you use autogen.sh, you will need a version of autoconf > 2.50

I'd like to thanks the following people who have worked with me on this.

 - Robert Adams ([email-masked]) for integrating in the POP and 
   IMAP support. 
 - John Kodis ([email-masked]) for the autoconf/automake support. 
 - Hans de Graaff for various bug reports and a fix for a text bliting problem.

Please check out the section at the top of the TODO file for the known 
problems with this release. Hopefully most if not all of them should be 
resolved before faces once again goes in the archives.

Thanks.

--
Rich Burridge                      Email: [email-masked]
Sun Microsystems,                  Phone: +1.650.786.5188
901 San Antonio Rd. MPK29-202      AIM/YAHOO: RicBurridge
Palo Alto, CA 94303                WWW: http://java.sun.com/people/richb/