Subject: Fwd: Mozilla & X-Faces / PIcons

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:10:49 -0500 (EST)

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:10:17 -0500
From: "Eric W. Brown" <eric@...net>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Mozilla & X-Faces / PIcons

Didn't know if you'd seen the latest status on X-Face / PIcon support
in Mozilla.  There's been a burst of activity (not all positive) over
the past few days including both the pushing back of the time in which
the X-Face displayer will make it into Mozilla and instructions on how
one can include X-Face headers in outgoing messages in Mozilla currently.

More info is at:
	http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20417

Hope it's useful.  If you know anyone with any experience adding X-Face /
PIcon support, it looks like most of the groundwork actually exists in
the current Mozilla code and it's just a matter of taking the final few
steps and right now none of the main people involved with the work have
the time but would probably welcome volunteers.

... if someone did get inspired over the holidays, it would probably make
it into Mozilla 1.3b (scheduled to come out in the middle of January).
If it misses that, it won't get into Mozilla 1.3 (by and large, no new
features in the full releases) and would have to wait for 1.4a.

Eric

---

From: Brian Redman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:08:35 -0500

The easiest implementation for Mozilla may be to use X-Image-Url to 
locate the image.  Presumably the default url generated by a mail 
sender could be a picon database query.

	ber
.
On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 09:10 AM, [email-masked] 
wrote:

> .. if someone did get inspired over the holidays, it would probably 
> make

---

From: Matt Wronkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:57:50 -0800

Hello all, I recently discovered the Picons database and started
using faces to show icons for senders in my mailbox. I think the
database is a really great system which fights the impersonal
nature of the internet. My thanks to Steve Kinzler for putting
this together. I would like to help improve the database and
tools if there is a need.

> There's been a burst of activity (not all positive) over the
> past few days including both the pushing back of the time in
> which the X-Face displayer will make it into Mozilla and
> instructions on how one can include X-Face headers in outgoing
> messages in Mozilla currently.

See also:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60881

I noticed some accusations that Mozilla developers who represent
AOL/Netscape were blocking the Picons effort in favor of the
proprietary AIM counterpart.

Matt

-- 
Matt Wronkiewicz <[email-masked]>