Subject: Faces v1.7.6 now available.

From: Rich Burridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:40:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Hopefully if my news program is working correctly, I've just sent out the
following message to comnp.mail.misc.

------
Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc
Subject: Faces v1.7.6 (a mail monitor) now available.
Summary: 
Expires: 
References:
Sender: 
Followup-To: 
Distribution: 
Organization: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Keywords: 
Cc: 

Hi all,

After over ten years with no updates, there is finally a new version of 
faces available for general use. 

Faces is a Gtk+ application for monitoring a list visually. Typically 
this is a list of incoming mail messages.

Faces has three different modes of operation:             
                                                         
 (a) The default will monitor for new mail. By default, only the last ten
     messages are displayed. Using the left mouse button it is possible to
     toggle the text in the faces window. This will either be the username
     or the time the mail message arrived. The icon shows the image of the
     last message to arrive.
                                                         
 (b) You can monitor the whole of a mail file. The open window will
     automatically adjust it's size to correctly show the face icons. The
     open window options are the username or the timestamp and number of
     message from that user. The icon will display the image of the last
     message, and a count of the total number of messages in the spool
     file or mail folder.
 
 (c) Custom monitoring. You can specify a program or shell script to run.
     The standard output from this program will be read by the faces program,
     and the appropriate faces displayed using the information provided. The
     format of this face information is given in the faces manual page.

See the README file included with the distribution for more information.
The README file is also available at:

  ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/faces/faces/README

Main new features in this v1.7.6 release (over the v1.6.1, November 1991 one):

* Only a single version now supported, which uses Gtk+/Gdk for the graphics.
* POP and IMAP support added.
* Now just supports .xbm and .xpm formated images (plus inline X-Face:'s).
* Clicking with the right mouse button over the faces window will bring
  up a Properties window.
* Adjusted to use autoconf/automake for configuration and building.
* Removed printer and users support, leaving just mail and custom script
  support. There are scripts available to monitor printers and users anyhow.
* Removed numerous files from the distribution, where later and greater
  versions were available separately from the www.cs.indiana.edu archives.
* Now released under a GNU LIBRARY GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (LGPL) license.

See the ChangeLog for a much more detailed list of all the changes made.

This new version of faces is available for download from:

  ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/faces/faces/faces-1.7.6.tar.gz

Note that POP and IMAP support are disabled by default. See the INSTALL file 
for details of how to enable them, and for a list of all the other
configuration options (or do "./configure --help").

If for some reason this doesn't build for you, then you can rebuild all the
autoconf/automake files with:

   % cd faces
   % autogen.sh
   % ./configure --prefix=/path/to/where/you/want/to/install/faces
   % gmake 

Note that if you use autogen.sh, you will need a version of autoconf > 2.50

For more information on faces and the whole picon thing, see:

  http://www.cs.indiana.edu/ftp/faces

I'd like to thanks the following people who have worked with me on this.

 - Robert Adams ([email-masked]) for integrating in the POP and 
   IMAP support. 
 - John Kodis ([email-masked]) for the autoconf/automake support. 
 - Hans de Graaff for various bug reports and a fix for a text bliting problem.

Please check out the TODO file for the known problems with this release. 
You can help by providing us with bug reports and constructive critisism 
Send your email to the faces mailing list at [email-masked]

Thanks.

--
Rich Burridge                      Email: [email-masked]
Sun Microsystems,                  Phone: +1.650.786.5188
901 San Antonio Rd. MPK29-202      AIM/YAHOO: RicBurridge
Palo Alto, CA 94303                WWW: http://java.sun.com/people/richb/