Subject: Hi and [Announcement]

From: Simon Richter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:09:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I'd like to announce a project I've started this spring: xfacedb.

The project's goal is to have a database of picons that automatically
maintains itself, which includes
 - registration by email
 - annual ping to verify the mailbox still exists
 - automatic distribution of changes within a distributed server network

As the database backend I plan to use a relational database, as it has
several advantages, for example the possibility to query for images that
exist only as true color versions but not greyscale ones, and they do not
lose that many blocks in the filesystem (The domain picons, for example,
need 41160 blocks for 5593 files, that would be 7.35kB per file).

But I also have bad news: Due to my studies and job I don't really have
the time to do as much development in the next time as I expected (that's
why I'm going public so soon, I had liked to have something presentable by
now), so I'd appreciate if someone could help me with the programming.

The project's home is at http://www.xfaces.de/ .

   Simon

-- 
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!