Subject: Re: xfaces - how to control duration of msg display

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:23:11 GMT

> Right now xfaces shows
> me which messages arrived for a brief period of time and then
> regardless of whether I have touched them or not it changes
> into nomail.

This is probably gnus adding the Status: RO header to the message,
after determining that you have mail, and what it is. Or perhaps,
you're using a POP/IMAP server, and the daemon is doing that. Either
way, xfaces decides that such messages aren't "interesting", because
they've already been "read", and doesn't display them.

If you want to change this behaviour, you should be able to do it
by fiddling with the XFaces.ignoreMessageBindings resource.

Thanks for asking this question - this behaviour bugged me too, but
I haven't bothered looking for an answer before now. :-)

steve

---

From: Tomislav Goles <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jan 1998 09:12:08 -0500

> they've already been "read", and doesn't display them.

My guess is that the behavior is probably caused by either the POP server
or xfaces. As far as I know, GNUS does not touch the /usr/mail files until
you hit 'g' to have gnus pull the mail out of /usr/mail into the gnus
buffers (unless you set up GNUS to automatically retrieve mail which
I don't do).

> by fiddling with the XFaces.ignoreMessageBindings resource.

I'll try that. If I get it to work I'll let you know. I have already
tried to comment out that resource but that did not make any difference
(in case this makes any difference, I'm running xfaces on HPUX 10.01).

> I haven't bothered looking for an answer before now. :-)

As I said before I'm new to faces/xfaces but I'm very surprised that
this would be the default behavior. The package seems very well thought
out and designed in many other respects - that's why I was hoping
that it was just me misunderstanding how to set some resource that
was causing this behavior.

--
Tomislav