Subject: looking for an xpmto<foo> converter than understands none

From: "Paul Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 17:26:48 +0100

Hi,
couldn't find this in the FAQ so I asking the list.

When I tried to convert some of the xpms into ppms (so that I can use
them as Tk-4.0b3 canvas items) I was getting errors about missing or
invalid formats. I upgraded to the netpbm-1mar1994 release but I am
still getting errors as it does not recognise the 'none' colour.

what is the easiest/best way for me to convert the xpm's into ppm's? I
have tried the other approach of using the gifs  ...
	giftopnm | pnmdepth 255 |ppmquant 5

but I am still getting horrible 4x8x4 colourmap which does not look
nice.

I just want to display the flags in a Tk canvas. What am I doing
wrong?

pjjH

Paul Harrington, [email-masked]  	 +44 1334 463261
Division of Computer Science, St Andrews University, Scotland KY16 9SS

---

From: "Steve Kinzler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 11:41:55 -0500

Sent 30May95 from [email-masked] to faces
+------- looking for an xpmto<foo> converter than understands none -------
| When I tried to convert some of the xpms into ppms (so that I can use
| them as Tk-4.0b3 canvas items) I was getting errors about missing or
| invalid formats. I upgraded to the netpbm-1mar1994 release but I am
| still getting errors as it does not recognise the 'none' colour.

Yes, xpmtoppm doesn't handle the None color, since ppm doesn't support
transparency.  To get it to work, you can change it to a real color
before piping into xpmtoppm, eg

	sed 's/c  *[Nn]one/c white/g' | xpmtoppm

See also the x2p.sed script in the AIcons support scripts.

--
from the brain of Steve Kinzler    /o)\    [email-masked]
an organ with a mind of its own    \(o/    (812)855-6999
              http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/kinzler.html
Tompion broadwife / myologic oxeye gremlin / brightwork collegian.