Subject: MEUF: mail enhanced using faces

From: "Steve Kinzler" <kinzler>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 11:31:24 -0500

I just found out about this program, and thought people on this list
would be interested in it.  I don't believe it's been mentioned on this
list before.  It looks like the most recent MEUF stuff is in:

	ftp.enst.fr:/pub/mail/meuf*
and	ftp.enst.fr:/pub/faces

--
from the brain of Steve Kinzler    /o)\    [email-masked]
an organ with a mind of its own    \(o/

Revalue reflect / interplay variant backstop / agrarian potter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: [email-masked] (Daniel Glazman)
Newsgroups: comp.archives
Subject: [comp.mail.mime] infos on MEUF
Followup-To: comp.mail.mime
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: soda.berkeley.edu
X-Original-Newsgroups: comp.mail.mime
X-Original-Date: 24 Feb 93 12:15:06 GMT

Archive-name: auto/comp.mail.mime/infos-on-MEUF

Hi !

I posted some lines about my soft MEUF in message <9302221201.AA13410@pitea.
grif.fr>... I received so many questions or "send-me-your-soft" e_mails
that I send this message in order to explain (or try to) exactly what is
Meuf v1.3. New features implemented in the announced v2.0 are described
immediately after.

	D.Glazman, [email-masked]
	Soft & Syst. Eng., Postmaster.

MEUF v1.3
=========

Meuf is simple x11 "mail" utility (MUA). It monitors a mail file or the result
of a shell-script. In its main window are displayed 48x48 icons (called Faces)
representing the sender of a message or its org, lab, or whatever the sender
wants ! With each Face are displayed the name of the sender and the Subject
line of the message.

The purpose of this small description is not the Face concept. About faces,
please see faces(1). Faces-1.6 (by Rich Burridge, Sun Aus.) is available from
all the main ftp sites.

The main window is automatically updated each time the spool file is modified.
An audio signal is played (X beep or user-defined) each time this happens.

Clicking on a Face "opens" the selected message in a new independant window.

Available operations in a message window are:
	* Close
	* Reply		To sender
			To all
			To sender with yanking
			To all with yanking
	* Forward
	* Save
	* Delete
	* Undelete
	* Print

Composing a message allows the following operations (see Athena Widget Set -
C Language Interface X11R>4, TextWidgets):

Ctrl-a	Beginning of line		| Meta-b Backward word
Ctrl-b	Backward character		| Meta-f Forward word
Ctrl-d	Delete next character		| Meta-i Insert file
Ctrl-e	End of line			| Meta-k Kill to end of paragraph
Ctrl-f	Forward character		| Meta-q Form paragraph
Ctrl-g	Multiply reset			| Meta-v Previous page
Ctrl-h	Delete previous character	| Meta-y Insert current selection
Ctrl-j	Newline and indent		| Meta-z Scroll one line down
Ctrl-k	Kill to end of line		| Meta-d delete next word
Ctrl-l	Redraw display			| Meta-D Kill word
Ctrl-m	Newline				| Meta-h Delete previous word
Ctrl-n	Next line			| Meta-H Backward kill word
Ctrl-o	Newline and backup		| Meta-< Beginning of file
Ctrl-p	Previous line			| Meta-> End of file
Ctrl-r	Search/Replace backward		| Meta-delete	 Delete previous word
Ctrl-s	Search/Replace forward		| Meta-Sh.delete Kill previous word
Ctrl-t	Transpose characters		| Meta-Backspace Delete previous word
Ctrl-s	Search/Replace forward		| Meta-Sh.bckspace Kill previous word
Ctrl-u	Multiply by 4			|
Ctrl-v	Next page			|
Ctrl-w	Kill selection			|
Ctrl-y	Unkill				|
Ctrl-z	Scroll one line up		|

Message is sent when clicking on the SEND button.

Two configuration files can be used by a Meuf' user:

1) $HOME/.meufrc contains
	* customization of internal meuf variables (folder, sound, include
	  signature, etc...)
	* aliases
	* messages to mark as deleted at reception time

2) $HOME/.meuf.prologue contains line to include in the RFC822 header of
   a sent message. For instance MY .meuf.prologue contains:

	Bcc: glazman

The variables set in the .meufrc file can also be interactively using the
PROPERTIES button in the main window of Meuf. The opened panel allows also
to save the current configuration in the .meufrc file.

'Customizable' variables are:
NAME		TYPE		MEANING
=========================================================================
signature	boolean		include $HOME/.signature
prologue	boolean		include $HOME/.meuf.prologue
sendmail	string		location of the sendmail binary
spooler		string		spool file to monitor
print		string		printer job
fortune		string		if not empty, include a fortue using this cmd
askcc		boolean		always ask for Cc
folder		string		default directory for saved messages
indentprefix	string		used when quoting (yank) a message
delwhenread	boolean		delete a mail when closing the window
keep		boolean		keep the spool file if length = 0
verbose		boolean		-v arg passed to sendmail
userintitle	boolean		user name if the main window title
silent		boolean		never beep
invert		boolean		exchange bg/fg for bitmaps (some X terminals)
facedir		string		location of the Faces database
saveme		boolean		save my messages using the recipient's name
expertmode	boolean		no message popups
bell		string		if not empty, used instead of XBell()

ICONIFY button in the mail window turns Meuf into a Xbiff-alike: only one
bitmap is shown in the window. This bitmap means "no new mail" immediately
after the change until a new mail arrives. A click on the icon makes Meuf
return to its normal state.

This release contains graphical interface for X11 using Xt and Xaw R>4.
Successfully compiled with:
Sun3	+	SunOs 4.1.X	+ X11R4
SunSparc+	SunOs 4.1.X	+ openwin 2.0 & 3.0
HP 9000/705 +	HP/UX
IBM RS6000 +	AIX 3.2		+ X11R4

V2.0 FEATURES
=============

* reading MIME 1.0 extensions. Composing is not yet implemented.
* xbmtoface utility converting a 48x48 bitmap Xbm format into a X-Face
  RFC822 field

STILL TO DO
===========

* full compliance to RFC 1343 (mailcap mechanism)
* composition of MIME messages
* parsing of X-Sun-attachment headers
* enhancement of the pure-MUA features
* show-all-the-message-in-only-one-window-whatever-is-the-content feature....
* and more, of course. If you have any suggestion !

WARNING
=======

The descriptions given above are absolutely not an advertisement, a planning
or whatever you want it to be ! It implies nothing from me or from Grif. This
product is not belonging to Grif S.A. and is full public domain. As soon as you
get it, do whatever you want with it but let me be happy knowing you use it:
send me an e_mail !!!

V1.3 availability
=================

MEUF is available from :
matrix.enst.fr  (137.194.32.3)  : meuf-1.3pl2.tar.Z     in /pub/mail
nuri.inria.fr   (128.93.1.26)   : MEUF-1.3pl2.tar.Z     in X/contrib/clients

Article to come in next Tribunix (Unix French Users Group newspaper).

---

From: Daniel Glazman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 09:42:34 +0100

Hi Steve. I just left Grif SA one month ago so my e-address is now
[email-masked]. Your post about meuf (thanks a lot!) require
some info about what meuf is...

Meuf means 'Mail Extended Using Faces'. It's also a Paris'slang word
meaning 'girl' (father of this killing joke: [email-masked]).

Are available at ftp.enst.fr:/pub/mail/meuf* a screen snapshot of Meuf,
versions 1.3, 1.4 and a demo of version 2.0.

This 2.0 demo version is valid until 15th March. Meuf 2.0 is a MIME conformant
and native Mail User Agent and of course it still uses the Faces concept.
The demo package contains an installation script and a self-extractible
Faces archive. Even if /usr/local/faces is already available on your site,
it is highly recommended to re-extract and use the Faces archive for this demo.

Diff's between this demo version and versin 1.4 are so enormous It is impossible
to summarize them in only 10 lines...

WARNING: this demo version is only available for Sun workstations under
SunOS 4.1.x. The binary has been statically linked under X11R4 for convenience
reasons. The package is located in ftp.enst.fr:/pub/mail/meufdemo.tar

	Enjoy! and drop me a mail if you like it....      (:-)

Daniel Glazman, [email-masked]

PS: see comp.mail.mime newsgroup for more info.