Subject: XFaces 3.1

From: Chris Liebman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 00:56:45 -0500 (EST)

I just sent this to comp.windows.x......

This is to announce XFaces version 3.1.  This is mainly a bugfix release but
there is one notable new feature:

	- You can now choose what is used for annotation for mail items.
	  In the previous release this was hard coded to be the user name
	  and count of messages.  Now you can choose from user, host, 
	  user@host, count, any header.

You can get XFaces from the following:

	Host		File
	ftp.x.org	contrib/xfaces-3.1.tar.Z
	ftp.clark.net	pub/liebman/xfaces-3.1.tar.Z

For those that don't know about XFaces, here is the blurb:

			     XFaces 3.1
			Christopher B. Liebman
			[email-masked]
			    March 6, 1994

What is XFaces?

       XFaces is a program that will display an image for each
    piece of mail in your mail box.  This lets you know at a
    glance who you have mail from.  XFaces starts out (when you
    have no mail) looking like a color xbiff.  As you receive
    mail XFaces becomes a column of mail images.  Some of XFaces
    features:

      - Both mono and color images.

      - Optional Shaped window support with both xpm and xbm.

      - Sound support using the NetAudio protocol. The NetAudio server 
        currently supports Sun's SparcStation (SunOS 4.1.X and Solaris 2.2),
	SGI's Indigo and NCD MCX X terminals running NCDware 3.1 or later.

      - Face images can be "compressed" so that each image will only
        show up once on your display.  This way, if you receive 30 messages
        from one user, list or whatever the image will only show up once.

      - You can use regular expressions to search any headers to choose
        images and sounds or ignore that mail message compleatly. This
	lets you specify an image/sound for mail that comes from a
	mailing list or ignore mail that you have already seen but
	left in your system mailbox.

      - Compatibility support for Rich Burridge's faces program. This 
        includes the ability to run user command to generate the image
	list.

      - Support for POP mailboxes.

      - XFaces can kick off shell commands based upon mailbox
	contents.  You could have yourself paged when a high priorty
	item needs your attention.

      - XFaces can run external filters to convert images into Xpm
        so that image formats that XFaces does not understand can
	be used.

      - The annotations for mail items include username, hostname,
        count, user@host, the contents of any header.

       XFaces is based on the Xt Intrinsics (-lXt) and the Athena
    Widget set (-lXaw).  To build in Xpm support you need the
    xpm library (-lxpm) version 3.2 or later.  To build in the
    sound support you will need NetAudio 1.1 or later. Both the xpm
    and the NetAudio distributions and publicly available with anon
    ftp from ftp.x.org in the contrib directory.  If you want X-Face
    header support you will want James Ashton's compface library
    available from from ftp.clark.net in pub/liebman/compface.tar.Z.

Whats new in this version?

Changes in version 3.1:		3/7/1994

    A few bug fixes. (one had caused a SEG Fault on many machines)

    User control of the mail annotatons.

    The default values for the imageTypes and imageSearch resources
    should reflect the options that the user compiled in.

Changes in version 3.0:		2/24/1994

       The major changes were to add compatibility support for
    Rich Burridge's "faces" program:

	- Per-face shell commands.
	
	- X-Face: header support.
	
	- facedb image/sound search. (the way faces finds
	  images)
	
	- User list commands.

	- Labling of images.  The user name and the number of messages
	  are displayed.

	- The following faces options are supported:
	      -f <facedbPath>
	      -e <listCommand>
	      -p <update time>
	      -c <# of columns>
	      -h <image height>
	      -w <image width>
	      -s <mail spool file>
	
	- POP mailbox support. (still primitive with respect to
	  user authentication but functional!)

	- A new Tiled widget so that the image list can be N 
	  columns and to allow for the "Rows=nnn Cols=nnn" line 
	  from a user command.

	- Full control of the order and imagetype/paths of searches.
	  The search types are:
	  
		- beforeImage,
		  afterImage,
		  beforeSound,
		  afterSound,
		  beforeCommand,
		  afterCommand:		These are regular expression searches
					on the mail headers.
		- resource:		Lookup image/sound in X resources.
		- facedb:		Lookup image/sound in "faces" style
					database.
		- x-face:		X-Face: style header.
	
	- Searchs are done for images, sounds and shell commands.
	
	- Much improved shape support.

Changes in version 2.3:		1/20/1994

       Compleatly rewrote the mail header parsing.  Now all headers
    are searched.

       Changed slightly the before/after image/sound bining format.
    Now you use three parts instead of to.  The new format is:
	    <header name> <whitespace> <pattern> <:> <image/sound file>

       Fixed a bug in the image code where a pixmap value was
    uninitialized and caused X error on some machines (machines where
    the unitialized value happened to be "None" worked!  others did
    not).

Changes in version 2.2:		1/14/1994

       Added new resource ignoreMessageBindings.  This allows you to
    have some messages ignored.

       Made the "Status:" header one of the headers that is searched
    with the bindings resources.  This allows people who like to keep
    200 to 300 messages in their system mailbox to only see/hear from
    messages that they have not seen yet.

       Made a small change to faces.h to allow for SystemV machines.
    I added macros for bcopy, bzero, index and rindex.

       Improved mail parsing. Before if there was no subject header
     xfaces could be fooled by a line in the body starting with Subject:.

Chris Liebman		Work			Home
Internet:	[email-masked]	[email-masked]
UUCP:		uunet!xrxedds!liebman	uunet!clarknet!zod!liebman
Phone:		1-703-787-2032		1-703-830-1641