Subject: Re:integration with http?

From: [email-masked] (Glazman Daniel)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 16:52:01 +0000

In message <[email-masked]> 29 Jul 1994 15:28:11, [email-masked] wrote:

> I would like my faces database to be built up on a 'demand' basis i.e.
> if the face is not available locally, to attempt and retrieve it via
> HTTP (using 'get' or something else coded up with libwww-perl)
> 
> Is there a W3 gateway available where you could give it a mail address
> and it would return the image?

	I built 3 years ago a service called rface doing exactly what
you miss. It was based on 'finger'. But it felt because my school
was one of the only 2 sites to use it ;-(

	A W3 site making available such logos will have a problem
of rights ! A logo is the unalienable property of the company or
organization.

	As long as 'faces' is a 'confidential' soft, no problem. But
if you make these logos available by a world wide used software
(mosaic)....

</Daniel>

---

From: Marc VanHeyningen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 1994 18:00:36 -0500

>> and it would return the image?

The IU finger gateway has similar functionality to this; check it out
at <http://www.cs.indiana.edu/finger/gateway>.  It wouldn't be
particularly difficult to make a simpler gateway that simply took an
address and returned an xbm of whatever was appropriate, though I'm
not sure whether it's a great idea; Steve?

- Marc
--
<A HREF="http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/mvanheyn.html">Marc VanHeyningen</A>

---

From: Joergen Haegg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 1994 09:50:34 MET DST

>of rights ! A logo is the unalienable property of the company or

What happens if the logo is available in each companys http-server.
Then it is up to each company to decide if they want to release the logo
to everyone.
Will it help?
Of course, it would be a limited number of available companies.

One could also ask for permission to distribute the logo.

/Jvrgen.