Subject: resolution wars

From: [email-masked] (James Ashton)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 14:39:45 EST

Just to let you all know my views on why we should keep 48x48 faces.

	Even at one bit deep the faces are recognisable, with colour
	they should be even more so.

	Screen resolution is not increasing.  100dpi screens have been
	around for many years and I've yet to see substantially higher
	resolution.  Colour screens in particular have technological
	problems going further.  The reason there is no big push is
	that no one can see the pixels at higher res anyway.  Half inch
	images are a good size.

	Screen real estate is valuable and people would rather not use
	more than necessary.

	Variable size icons are a pain to tile.  Compatibility with
	existing versions of the faces software becomes an issue here.

	Higher res means more bandwidth.
--
James Ashton						  System Administrator
VK1XJA					     Department of Systems Engineering
Voice +61 6 249 0681	  Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering
FAX   +61 6 249 2698				Australian National University
Email [email-masked]			   Canberra ACT 0200 Australia