Subject: Problems with iscs-finger

From: Philippe-Andre Prindeville <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 93 18:29:14 +0100

Hi.

	Following the rave reviews of icsi-finger, I'm trying to
install it locally on an HP 9000/700 (HP-UX 8.07).  After a little
tweaking of the config.h (because of the broken pathnames in HP-UX,
ie. -I/usr/include/X11R4) I try to do a make and...

% make
[ ... ]
	(cd src/; make  all)
	cc -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  -c finger.c
	cat ../include/fingerpaths.cfg | \
	 sed -e 's@/usr/local/etc/fingerdir@/usr/spool/fingerdir@g' \
	 > ../include/fingerpaths.h
	(cd ../lib/; \
		 make  CC="cc" RANLIB="echo" CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/ ")
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  error.c
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  os.c
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  packet.c
x_show_face.c: 36: Can't find include file X11/Xlib.h
x_show_face.c: 37: Can't find include file X11/Xutil.h
x_show_face.c: 38: Can't find include file X11/StringDefs.h
x_show_face.c: 39: Can't find include file X11/Intrinsic.h
x_show_face.c: 40: Can't find include file X11/Shell.h
x_show_face.c: 42: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/Viewport.h
x_show_face.c: 43: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/Scrollbar.h
x_show_face.c: 44: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/Box.h
x_show_face.c: 45: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/Command.h
x_show_face.c: 46: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/Label.h
x_show_face.c: 47: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/Dialog.h
x_show_face.c: 48: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/AsciiText.h
x_show_face.c: 49: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/Text.h
x_show_face.c: 50: Can't find include file X11/Xaw/Form.h
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  tcp.c
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  tty.c
[ ... ]
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  x_show_face.c
[ ... ]
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  alloca.c
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  flock.c
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  getusershell.c
	cc -c -I/usr/include/X11R4/ -I../include/  authuser.c
	rm -f libfinger.a
	ar clq libfinger.a error.o os.o packet.o tcp.o tty.o util.o getservhost.o  text-finger.o face-finger.o dither.o call.o mail.o read_bitmap.o read_rastfile.o read_x_bitmap.o read_lispmug.o save_bitmap.o save_rastfile.o save_x_bitmap.o save_lispmug.o x_show_face.o sun_show_face.o showface.o bitmap.o userface.o userinfo.o  ualarm.o alloca.o flock.o getusershell.o authuser.o
	echo libfinger.a
[ ... ]

which strikes me as "pretty weird" to use my most sophisticated
technical jargon.  I don't know why x_show_face.c seems to spew errors
at that particular point, since it isn't (at least not visibly) the
file being compiled at that moment.  Also, a little ways down the
road, x_show_face.c does indeed seem to compile correctly.

Any ideas?

-Philip

---

From: Philippe-Andre Prindeville <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 12:46:43 +0100

And the winner to this problem was, you have to specify:

	% make XINCFLAG=-I/usr/include/X11R4

for all the other happy Snake owners ;-)

-Philip