Subject: Re: Faces mailing list has moved; WWW->finger+faces

From: [email-masked] (Ignatios Souvatzis)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 17:37:06 +0100

We use a version of ICSI finger here and gnu finger 1.37 at part of
Univ. of Bonn Computer Science Department, where I'm a part time
system administrator.

It's a nice thing to have, and it's also not too difficult to use as a
picture database the .../lib/faces/de/uni-bonn/cs/ directory, with
some setup of symbolic links. But it gives you pictures for individual
users, not monitoring of anything by picture as faces does it.

I would like (and will do, in fact, if nobody else does it first as
soon as possible) a variant of the faces -H which supports multiple -H
or -H w/o hosts to get a list of all on the ethernet. I already did
(for the ULTRIX DECstations here) a perl script called 'rusers' which
uses finger and understands gnu finger and sun finger output formats.
As soon as I brush it up, I'll put it on the ftp server.

Paper mail: Ignatios Souvatzis, Radioastronomisches Institut der 
            Universitaet Bonn, Auf dem Huegel 71, D-5300 Bonn 1, FRG
Internet:   [email-masked] [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1993 14:50:01 +0000 (GMT)

> users, not monitoring of anything by picture as faces does it.

Sure, fair point, but more than 50% of our users are on PCs so having
a flexible textual finger system is important.  Face information is 
available on request for any named user.

> As soon as I brush it up, I'll put it on the ftp server.

Sounds good.  If I can run gfinger and get xfaces output that would be
more than useful :)

Tim