Subject: finger

From: [email-masked] (Cameron Simpson)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 23:45:15 +1000

"Lindsay F. Marshall" <[email-masked]> writes:
| It's all very well having fancy finger daemons, but a lot of people's
| faces are stored under canonical site mail names rather than
| individual machine names so it is a wast eof time trying to find them.
| Perhaps we need a cleverer finger daemon.

Um, follow the MX records to find a suitable finger host?
	- Cameron Simpson
	  [email-masked], DoD#743
--
Jones' Law: The man who can smile when things go wrong has found someone
	to blame it on.

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1993 14:46:12 +0000 (GMT)

> 	  [email-masked], DoD#743

I think the point was that full mail ids are often different to
login IDs, and this makes fingering by name a problem.  I login
as tjc but my mail ID is rewritten on sending to T.J.Chown.  Also, 
from our site we (try to) hide all hosts and as a result fingering
someone here at ecs.soton.ac.uk will fail because we don't allow
logins on our mail/news gateway machine.  So if you want an open
finger service I guess you give up a little "security".

Having said that, running icsi-finger internally is rewarding

Tim