Subject: Faces mention in BYTE magazine

From: "Steve Kinzler" <kinzler>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 14:02:12 -0500

In case anyone missed this:

From BYTE Magazine, Dec `92, Vol 17, No 14, p 256
"Software Corner", Barry Nance
------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNIX/Ben Smith
"Saving Face"

For several years now, the Usenix organization has been encouraging
attendees at its conferences to save face -- to have the image of
their face recocorded for the faces database.  The project is geared to
humanizing communication around the worldwide Unix network and to adding
graphics to appropriate Unix utilities.

The face-image viewer is a program named xface, an X Window System client
program.  The collection of utilities, called faces, is maintained by
Rich Burridge of Sun Microsystems (Australia) and is available on most
Unix archive servers and BIX.

Faces works like this:  You store your character-based compressed image
in your home directory and instruct your mail-composing program to
include a pointer to this file.  Whenever you send an E-mail message,
your image is included.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It ain't completely accurate, but at least it's publicity ...

--
from the brain of Steve Kinzler    /o)\    [email-masked]
an organ with a mind of its own    \(o/

---

From: [email-masked] (Rich Burridge)
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 12:19:32 PDT

> From BYTE Magazine, Dec `92, Vol 17, No 14, p 256

I got $50.00 for that. The drinks are on me. Pity he didn't ask me to
proof-read it...