Subject: Faces mailing list has moved; WWW->finger+faces

From: "Steve Kinzler" <kinzler>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1993 13:07:21 -0500

The faces mailing list has moved to cs.indiana.edu.  The list names are
the same:

  [email-masked]		mails to everyone on the mailing list

  [email-masked]	mails to me for subscribe/unsubscribe
				  requests and mailing list
				  administrivia

Archives of the mailing list are still available in the cs.indiana.edu
anonymous ftp archives, directory /pub/faces/mailing-list.

==========================================================================

Something cool to check out ...

Marc VanHeyningen has implemented a finger service in the World Wide Web
that uses the faces databases to display the fingeree's face/logo along
with their finger information.  To check it out, reference the URL:

	http://moose.cs.indiana.edu/finger/gateway

If you haven't used WWW, I recommend trying "xmosaic" an X-windows
client for WWW.  Pre-compiled binaries for DEC, IBM, SGI and Sun
architectures are available for anonymous ftp in
ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu:/Web/xmosaic.  Give the above URL in the Navigate/Open
pull-down menu.

--
from the brain of Steve Kinzler    /o)\    [email-masked]
an organ with a mind of its own    \(o/

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 10:32:13 +0000 (GMT)

Steve Kinzler writes:
> with their finger information.  

I guess you all know about this, but in case not ...

How does this compare to the icsi-finger variant of GNU finger?   We run
that here and it's very cute.   Being based on the GNU finger it has many
very nice options.  A master gfingerd keeps track of all the users on named
clients, so you don't need to know *which* machine to poll, gfinger just
reports for all of them, in effect.  Tutors like it as it lets them know
exactly when their tutees last logged into the system, anywhere (and what
they look like, if meetings are rare).

If you want to try it out I've put it up for FTP here at ecs.soton.ac.uk 
(152.78.64.201) under pub/unix as icsi-finger-1.0.17.tar.Z.   One of our
undergrads fetched it down, so I'm not sure what the official distribution
site for it is; I assume a quick archie would reveal that ...

Tim

---

From: "Steve Kinzler" <kinzler>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 09:40:52 -0500

Written 23 Mar 1993 10:32:13 by [email-masked] in mail:faces
+---------- "Re: Faces mailing list has moved; WWW->finger+faces" ----------
| How does this compare to the icsi-finger variant of GNU finger?

I don't think it's really meant to compete with GNU finger, but rather
to serve a useful function within WWW.  Still, it is more broadly usable
than GNU finger since it doesn't require anything special (not faces,
not GNU finger) to be installed at the local or the fingered site --
just the WWW client, of course.

I haven't gotten around to installing GNU finger here, yet, but I've
heard wonderful things about it.  The official ICSI distribution is in
icsi.berkeley.edu:/pub/stolcke/icsi-finger-*.tar.Z anonymous ftp.