Subject: Usenix FaceSaver faces database available

From: Steve Kinzler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 16:17:07 -0500

In a fit of enthusiasm, I rftp'ed the entire Usenix FaceSaver database
from uunet, hacked Chris Maltby's fs2ikon script into a simpler, more
robust fs2xbm, and ran it over the database.

So, now we have about 3300 new faces from about 1600 sites.

I'm not sure this is a good thing.

I haven't tried to use this database with faces in the regular way yet,
but I bet it'll show us how slow faces can really be.  This will
probably be a good thing for a face server daemon to access when
necessary, if such a critter ever comes to exist.

Anyway, I extended the Showall script from my bitmaps collection into a
"facesall" program that can show arbitrarily large databases using
multiple windows if necessary.  I used this to see all the faces in the
FaceSaver collection.  It'll replace the Showall script and can be
retrieved from iuvax:pub/faces/facesall.  The FaceSaver database will
soon be in iuvax:pub/faces/facesaver.tar.Z -- all 8 megs of it (I'd
estimate, 14 megs uncompressed -- it's not done compressing yet).  The
fs2xbm script is in iuvax:pub/faces/filters.tar.Z.

from the brain of Steve Kinzler    /o)\    [email-masked]
an organ with a mind of its own    \(o/    {ames,rutgers}!iuvax!kinzler

PS:  To any and all Australian members of this list,
I recently found out that there's a fair chance I'll have the
opportunity to visit your fair country this winter ... er ... summer
... er ... December!  Perth, to be specific.