Subject: Faces audio support ala xbiff++

From: richb@stard (Rich Burridge)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1991 18:15:11 +1000

xbiff++ does this nicely. It parses the soundBindings X resource and generates
a set of bindings using the name and sound and a binding pattern, and chains
this list together. It uses Henry Spencers regexp package to handle regular
expressions. This should be fairly fast. Both xbiff++ code and the regexp
package code would appear to be reusable as long as the copyright messages
are preserved, and the appropriate credits added to the documentation. I
would simply need to cut and paste appropriately.

This seems to be the way to go for sound support. I don't know if there is
a size limit for a single X resource. That might be a slight problem. The
SunView and NeWS versions would initially miss out, until routines were
written to convert the ~/.facerc file to X defaults format, and to parse said
file.

I'd like other people views, but unless there are any strong objections, I'll
aim to start work on this over this weekend.

---

From: John Mackin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 01:48:06 +1000

Rich writes:

    This seems to be the way to go for sound support. I don't know if
    there is a size limit for a single X resource. That might be a
    slight problem. [...]

    I'd like other people views, but unless there are any strong
    objections, I'll aim to start work on this over this weekend.

I have huge objections.  This does _not_ belong in the resources.  Please
do not ever lose sight of the fact that the resources are in _server_
memory (as the RESOURCE_MANAGER property of the root window) and server
memory is, by the hard facts of life, a scarce commodity.

I will discuss this whole issue at greater length when I write about
where we should be getting argyments from in general.  That'll be
on the weekend probably; at least it will be when I'm not intoxicated.
(I only dialed up to _read_ mail but felt this demanded a reply.)

John.