Subject: [un]compface to use xbm format?

From: richb@stard (Rich Burridge)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1991 17:00:34 +1000

I am considering modifying the [un]compface code in the faces distribution,
to read and write X bitmap format files, rather than Blit ikon files.

My reasons are:

* X bitmap format is a more popular widely known format.

* It is a character format, and therefore wouldn't suffer from the "endian"
  problems that the Blit ikon format currently has.

* This will make it easier for other utilities that wish to use the
  [un]compface software, such as XMAIL and the new finger utility being
  developed by Telecom in France.

uncompface would always write 48x48x1 xbm files. I am intending to modify
the compface routines to read the top-left 48x48x1 bits, if the xbm file
is larger.

I would appreciate your comments on whether you think this is a good or
bad idea.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ignatios Souvatzis)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 91 11:50:01 +0200

> From: [email-masked] (Rich Burridge)
 > To: [email-masked]
 > Subject: [un]compface to use xbm format?
 > Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1991 17:00:34 +1000
 > 
Yes. Fine. Do it. It would make the life MUCH easier for us 'pure X11'
guys and gals. 

				Ignatios

Paper mail: Ignatios Souvatzis, Radioastronomisches Institut der 
            Universitaet Bonn, Auf dem Huegel 71, D-5300 Bonn 1, FRG
Internet:   [email-masked]