Subject: faces v1.5 patch #1 - status.

From: richb@stard (Rich Burridge)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1991 14:58:10 +1000

So far, I believe every bug that has been reported against v1.5 (that wasn't
already in the TODO file), is fixed in patch #1, which I'm intending to mail
to this list tomorrow morning. Please let me know if there are any others.

The list of proposed changes is included below.

I'm also going to post an announcement message to a selection of USENET
newgroups regarding this version of faces, how to get it, information on
the faces mailing list etc...

The current newgroup list I intend to hit are:

comp.windows.x, comp.sources.d, comp.mail.misc, alt.sys.sun, aus.sources

If you can think of more appropriate newsgroups please let me know.

---------

v1.5 - patchlevel 1 - 18th April 1991.

       - From Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]>
         Part15 contains a duplicate of addr.h. It's identical to the
         addr.h extracted by part4.

       - From Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]>
         Added a NOUTIME definition to the Makefile.dist, for those systems
         that don't have a utime() call. Adjusted mon.c and faces.h
         accordingly.

       - From Mike Khaw <[email-masked]>
         There were 2 uses of do_audio in xview.c that weren't wrapped in
         #ifdef AUDIO_SUPPORT which caused 'make xview' to abort on my Sun3.

       - From Philippe-Andre Prindeville <[email-masked]>
         Modifications to the faces.sendmail script to handle echo -n better
         with the bash shell.
 
       - Between v1.4.14 and v1.5.0, certain character declarations that were
         previously defined as:
 
         char variable[MAXLINE] ;
 
         were changed to
 
         char *variable ;
 
         Fixed up two occurances where the declaraction and an extern for the
         declaration didn't match.

       - From Steve Kinzler <[email-masked]>
         From Mark Shand <[email-masked]>
         In get_options, char *next is not initialized prior to calling
           read_str(&next, ...

       - From Victor A. Riley <[email-masked]>
         From Michael Urban <[email-masked]>
         From John Mackin <[email-masked]>
         The uncompface() routine can scribble all over RAM in certain
         circumstances(). This is at about line 72 in compface/gen.c:
         Illegal array index 2304 into variable F. Maximum array index is 2303.

         [Problem fixed by James Ashton:
          The array indices incorrectly range from 1 to WIDTH instead of
          from 0 to WIDTH-1 and the same for HEIGHT].

---

From: [email-masked] (Ignatios Souvatzis)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 14:15:50 +0200

Rich: I had no problem compiling and using 1.5.0 on a
DECstation/Ultrix 4.1 with -DX11R3. 

However on a Convex Unix V8.1 system, the ansi mode of the compiler
complains about zillion things, and the pcc version of the compiler
links a library w/o memset. I propose to put a conditional USEBZERO
into address.y (3 lines) and mon.c (1 line) to use
bzero(string,length) instead of memset(string,'\0',length).
Another change was the line '#include <ctype.h>' at the end of
faces.h -- else isupper and islower would be searched by the linker.

		Ignatios

---

From: [email-masked] (Ignatios Souvatzis)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 14:41:08 +0200

One thing I forgot:

on both versions (Ultrix on DECstation and Convex), faces crashes when
using the -e option with a wrong parameter (nonexistent script
etc.). Somebody should look at the corefile produced and do s.th.
about it...

[A Convex with a load average of 20.82 is sloooooooooow.....]