Subject: Faces v1.5.0.

From: richb@stard (Rich Burridge)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1991 20:09:40 +1000

Rather than put out patch #15 for v1.4, I'm going to bump the version
number and reset the patchlevel to zero. I'm aiming to post faces v1.5.0
to this list in just under a week. There will be fifteen parts, each
one a uuencoded compressed shar file. This will total about 200 Kbytes.

If this is a problem to anyone please let me know, and I'll avoid filling
your mailbox. I'll also be putting it on iuvax for people who have anon
ftp capability, and it will also be available via my automatic mail
archive server.

The changes made for v1.5.0 (so far) are listed below. I've redistributed
various files, so hopefully filenames should be stable for a while.

I expect there will need to be a few tweaks required to v1.5.0 for various
machines plus minor bugs, so I'm aiming to put out a fixup patch #1 about
Friday week. Then I'm off overseas for about seven weeks, so you can all go
hog wild on the TODO file while I'm away. :-)

v1.5 - patchlevel 0 - 10th April 1991.

       - From David Purdue <[email-masked]>
         From Mike Khaw <[email-masked]>
         The window and icon positioning broke with patch #14 for the
         XView version.

       - From Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
         From Mark Shand <[email-masked]>
         raise() is already declared on some systems. All occurances of
         raise() in faces have been replaced with raisewindow().

       - From Lindsay F. Marshall <[email-masked]>
         My faces window beeps and raises itself for no apparent reason.

         show_display() was being called in one place in do_mail() even though
         there wasn't any new mail. This was causing the window to be raised
         and the bell sounded. show_display() now takes a parameter which
         indicates whether the display should just be drawn, or whether the
         window should raise and beep.

       - Added in audio capabilities see the README and manual pages for more
         details.

       - Added Saber entry to Makefile.dist and ran the X11 (Xlib) version of
         faces through Saber.

       - From John Mackin <[email-masked]>
         The "-b icon_file" option doesn't work. It still comes up with the
         default background.

       - From Philip Gladstone <[email-masked]>
         In the top level Makefile, you allow specification of FMONTYPE.
         The code in main.c checks for FBMONTYPE. Also the definition of
         FMONTYPE=0 and =1 are reversed.

       - From Steve Kinzler <[email-masked]>
         Added all the new filters and scripts from Steve to the faces
         distribution. Created a new scripts directory, and moved mailq,
         lpqall and lpqall.sh across to it. See the README.kinzler files
         in the scripts and filters sub-directories for more details.

       - From John Mackin <[email-masked]>
         If the X11R3 definition is uncommented in the Makefile, then there
         would be a syntax error for the font definition in x11.c.

       - Added Xlib and XView error handlers to the XView version, to try
         to track down random cases of:

         X Error of failed request:
         BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
         Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
         Serial number of failed request:  4518
         Current serial number in output stream:  4530

       - From Alan Skea <[email-masked]>
         From Mark Shand <[email-masked]>
         If you are running faces with the -a option, and mail arrived from
         x@y with an X-Face: line then another article arrives from x@y with
         a different X-Face: line, then the second face is not shown; just
         the count of the first face get's incremented.

       - Adjust MANIFEST, FILES and Makefile.dist for new v1.5 distribution.
         Adjusted shar file distribution into fifteen parts, each less than
         55Kbytes.

       - Started to remove all reference to REVORDER, and replace routines
         that depend upon byte order with byte independent code. Changed the
         five no*.icon files to XBM format. These now use a routine called
         load_data() to run them into the correct image format (depending upon
         graphics version. Updated MANIFEST, FILES and Makefile.dist

       - Included mention of Steve Kinzlers' anon ftp service for faces,
         available on iuvax.cs.indiana.edu, in the README file.

       - Created a new file called Faces.ad which gives all the X resource
         application defaults for faces.

       - From Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
         It would be nice if the compression and uncompression routines were
         separated into different source files, so that if I want to include
         just the uncompression in my mailer, I don't have to include the
         compression stuff too.

         I took the easy way out here; cmain.c and uncmain.c can mostly be
         combined. Perhaps at a later date.

       - From Eric Negaard <[email-masked]>
         I have been working on a user program for use with faces (to display
         mail in a POP mailbox) and I noticed what I think is a bug.  The code
         in do_prog does not update the icon image, so the faces icon always
         displays the NOMAIL icon.

         My fix was to change the

           add_face(DISP_BOTH, ...)

         to

           add_face(DISP_ALL, ...).

       - From Steve Kinzler <[email-masked]>
         It'd be nice if there were a way to specify the icon and information
         displayed when a "faces -e" window is in icon form. As it is now, it
         always gives the NOMAIL icon.

         A simple extension to the format would allow an optional
         specification line before the "Cols=X Rows=X" line that would be for
         the icon window.

       - From Steve Kinzler <[email-masked]>
         Allow variable width columns instead of fixed width columns in the
         faces -e format, using a separator character such as ascii 036
         (record separator), or perhaps something more readable like TAB
         (preferred). Domain names can easily get over 20 characters -- user
         names sometimes too.

       - From John Mackin <[email-masked]>
         Fixed up init_font() in x11.c and xview.c to correctly work with the
         -fn command line option.

---

From: Mark Shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 19:39:07 +0200

bug report

In get_options, char *next is not initialized prior to calling
    read_str(&next, ...
In the first statement of read_str(str, ... we find:
    if (*str != NULL) (void) free(*str) ;
Oh dear!  This is very sloppy.  I was lucky enough to be alerted of
it due to the following warning (on mips):
    Fixed up unaligned data access for pid 2266 (faces) at pc 0x40cfb4
Fix by changing the declaration of next at get.c:148 to:
    char *next = 0;