Subject: bug in version 1.5?

From: [email-masked] (Victor A. Riley)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 15:22:27 EDT

Hello everyone - I just grabbed version 1.5 and have compiled it on
my Sun SparcStation II, under X11R4.  So far it just core dumps with
a segmentation violation.  It appears to be core dumping in the
uncompressing of the X-Faces: line in compface/gen.c.  I traced the program
and found that comstr is NULL most of the time, then gets assigned the
comment in the From line, then gets NULLed again, and during the
uncompressing of the X-Faces line gets assigned to 0x1.  During the
next pass through address.y it crashes since comstr in not NULL.  I got
tired of tracing in Gen() so gave up trying to find where memory gets
overwritten.

	Victor  Riley
	IRIS - Brown University
	[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1991 13:46:34 -0700 (PDT)

Excerpts from mail: 16-Apr-91 bug in version 1.5? Victor A.
[email-masked] (699)

> tired of tracing in Gen() so gave up trying to find where memory gets

Well, Mr. Riley's message caused my copy to crack as well; removing the
null X-Face: header line from his message worked around the problem. 
The hex value scrawled in comstr was 0x1010101 for me; I am using a
Sparcstation 1 under SunOS 4.1.1 and X11R4.

	Mike