Subject: Fixed up v1.5.1 now available.

From: richb@stard (Rich Burridge)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1991 11:32:39 +1000

I think I've sorted this mess out. Included below is a uuencoded compressed
shar file containing a set of diffs that should be applied to faces v1.5.0,
plus a new version of gen.c. The gen.c file should be placed in the compface
sub-directory, and the diffs should be applied to the v1.5.0 sources.

If you'd rather not do this, then the latest version of faces (fully patched)
is available from a variety of places:

* I've put a copy in the pub/faces/incoming directory on iuvax.cs.indiana.edu,
  for those of you who have anon ftp capabilities. Steve, could you do your
  bit with this file please, and place a copy in the parent directory?

  I've also put a copy of the uuencoded compressed Patch1 shar file in there.

* For Sun employees around the world, you can get the fully patched latest
  version via anon ftp from stard.aus.

* For Australian sites without ftp capabilities, faces.tar.Z is available
  via fetchfile from sunaus.sun.oz

* And finally both the patch and the fully patched latest version of faces
  are available via the automatic mail archive server. Requests should be
  sent to [email-masked]. To just get patch #1, then the
  message should contain the line:

send faces patch1

  If you want the complete fully patched version of faces v1.5.1, then you
  should send fifteen messages containing the lines:

send faces partn

  where n = 1-15. You can do this is one message, but the archive server
  processes smaller messages faster. UUCP sites out there might like to
  include a path line with each message, something like:

path uunet.uu.net!hostname!user

  note that this is uunet.uu.net and not just uunet. Sun.COM doesn't
  recognise uunet. This is the return path the archive server will use to
  send your requests to. Also UUCP sites should note that you probably have a
  size limit on each message. Yet another good reason to divide these into
  multiple requests.

--------

A few points....

* Thanks for your patience with me on this.

* Could people assure me they have working versions of faces v1.5.1 now.

* If I do get such assurance, then I will announce its availability in those
  various USENET groups.

* As you are probably aware, I'm now going overseas for a while. I'll be
  back in Oz about the 5th June. I'll be in Mtn View for the first three
  weeks, then holidaying in England and Wales for the remainder. I'll be
  putting a vacation program on my mail, but I will try to find time to
  read it from Mtn View during those first three weeks. I can't promise
  I'll find the time to reply though.

* The list will hopefully run itself automatically. I should be able to
  handle maintenance requests for the first three week; after that I'll
  fix things up when I return.

* When I get back, I'll start putting together the next "official" patch
  or version of faces, plus try to reduce that TODO list.

* Thanks for your interest in faces.

* Keep those messages coming!!

------CUT HERE------faces.patch1.Z.uu------CUT HERE------

---

From: Mark Shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 13:57:13 +0200

The compface saga is not over yet.

Uncompface is still far from robust in the face of maliciously or
erroneously constructed faces.  I just received an X-Face: header
in which the X-Face: keyword was duplicated.  Not only did this face
decode incorrectly, but subsequent, correctly formed face headers
were also corrupted.  Let's add bullet-proofing of uncompface to the
TODO list.

While your adding this, you could presumably delete John's now done TODO:

> *   From John Mackin <[email-masked]>
>     The RFC822 address parsing in parsefrom.c appears, on quick
>     inspection, to be grossly inadequate.  (It certainly doesn't
>     handle comments in addresses, for one thing.)
> 
>     Here's an example that fails:
> 
>     From: [email-masked] (A (Nested) Comment)

I believe this is not the only obsolete TODO entry.

Mark.