Subject: Status for faces patch #14.

From: richb@stard (Rich Burridge)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1991 11:03:43 +1000

The changes I've made so far, for faces patch #14 are listed below. I'll
send this patch out to the mailing list on the Tuesday after Easter. This
will allow anybody else who has any diffs to send them to me for inclusion
in the patch, and also possibly allows me to do some more work on faces
over Easter (no promises there).

I've integrated Robert Adams faces database with the collection I had, and
have converted all the 48x48x1 ikons to face.xbm format. This collection is
now on:

        titan.rice.edu           as incoming/facedir.tar.Z
   and  iuvax.cs.indiana.edu     as pub/faces/incoming/facedir.tar.Z

I've just received a load more face images from John Mackin (thanks John!),
which I'll integrate into the database tomorrow (I must do some RealWork
today).

Patch #14 (changes so far):

         - From Philip Gladstone <[email-masked]>
           Better handling of X11 events -- fixes a number of bugs whereby
           things didn't get drawn.

         - From Philip Gladstone <[email-masked]>
           Fits text better into the icon even if proportional spaced font.

         - From Philip Gladstone <[email-masked]>
           Displays hostname rather than username if the icon represents the
           username rather than hostname.

         - From Philip Gladstone <[email-masked]>
           Fixes some bug (I can't recall what) attached to doing NIS lookups
           when a failing NIS lookup turns into a domain name lookup.
 
         - From Philip Gladstone <[email-masked]>
           Fixes a problem with utime system call not taking two longs!
 
         - From Philip Gladstone <[email-masked]>
           Fixes a problem if you change the width across to be not 10.
 
         - Added a Makefile.dist file to the faces distribution. This will
           replace the Makefile, and allows further changes to this file,
           without blowing the users changes out of the water. Patching the
           Makefile should be simpler now. The MANIFEST and FILES files have
           been updated.

         - From Chris Steinbroner <[email-masked]>
           From Philip Colmer <[email-masked]>
           Loading xfaces fails because XSetWMProtocols() does not exist on my
           system. It's an X11R4 routine. A new definition (X11R3) has been
           added to the Makefile.dist file. This needs to be uncommented if
           you are running the X11 (Xlib) version under MIT X11R3.

         - From John B. Melby <[email-masked]>
           If one creates a directory "edu" in the faces directory, it does
           not have any effect on a domain address in which EDU is capitalized.
           It seems to me that "faces" should not pay any attention to the
           case of a domain name (since case is only supposed to be significant
           in the user name).

           From John Mackin <[email-masked]>
           The comparison when looking up the domain in the faces
           directory appears to be case-sensitive.  This is wrong per
           RFC822, domain-parts are case-insensitive.  Both the directory
           name and the host name from the mail item should be downcased
           before comparison.

           From Peter Gray <[email-masked]>
           When comparing the domain of the mail with the machine.tab entries
           strcasecmp should be used since mail addresses are case invarient.

           From [email-masked] (Ignatios Souvatzis)
           As far as I remember, RFC822 states that 'domains' and 'mailboxes'
           ignore case. I frequently get mail with domain or subdomain names
           uppercase or capitalized. 'gethostname' on the DECstations of the
           university's radio astronomy institute returns upper case names
           (probably set up this way to get it compatible to DECnet
           conventions, they talk DECnet to the VAXes...). [Patch included].

         - From Ken Wood <[email-masked]>
           Details of how to generate X-Face: headers from within GNU Emacs.
           Added to the README file.

         - Converted the mini faces database supplied with the faces
           distribution to face.xbm format. MANIFEST and FILES files updated.

         - Reversed the order of the patch entry descriptions in the CHANGES
           file, so the latest entry is at the top.

         - From Steve Kinzler <[email-masked]>
           Added a variety of scripts and filters to the faces distribution.
           These are:

           ikon2xbm, xbm2ikon  bitmaps filters for Blit ikon and X11 bitmaps

           lpqall.sh, lpqall   customized "faces -e" script for monitoring all
                               printers

           mailq               customized "faces -e" script for monitoring the
                               system sendmail queue

         - The faces mailing list is now mentioned in the README file.

---

From: John Mackin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 14:56:22 +1000

From: [email-masked] (Rich Burridge)
    Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1991 11:03:43 +1000

Now, call me a sentimental old fool, (sorry, no Alexei Sayle sketches.
Start again.)  Call me a guy who believes RFC822 matters, but I can't
let this pass.  Enough people are confused about this already; let's
not propagate misinformation on this subject in the faces user
community.  Mr. Melby and I have it right above; Mr. Gray gets
distressingly ambiguous, and Mr. Souvatzis is absolutely wrong.
Please, everyone, refer to RFC822, section 3.4.7, `Case Independence'.
I won't quote it at length here.  The point, in simple language
and without using token names from the 822 grammar, is that
everything on the right side of the `@' matches in either case,
_but everything on the left of the `@' matches in exact case_,
with the exception of the reserved, special name "postmaster"
which must match in either case.  (I am oversimplifying here
by ignoring source routing; if I may use token names, <domain>s
do indeed match in either case, but <mailbox>es include
<local-part>s, which do _not_.)

Please, people.  RFC822 is all that stands between us and...
and... (he shudders, and makes an odd Qabalistic sign in the
air...) (dare I?) (YES!) X.400!!!!!  Let's get it _right_.

John.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ignatios Souvatzis)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 13:45:28 +0100

> From: John Mackin <[email-masked]>

Sorry, sorry. Mea maxima culpa.

As I wrote in my comment to my patch, I only REMEMBERED RFC822, I
didn't READ it. 

a) I wrote 'mailbox' instead of 'local-part'. 

b) 'local-part' would have been wrong, too, as John pointed out. (I
just loaded rfc822 from the tape --- from the end of a very big tape
--- and looked it up.

I only want to insist on the 'domain'. In my patch, I patched for the
'domain' comparison (and made it case-insensitive); I didn't make the
'local-part' comparison case-sensitive (one line above it in the
source). I sort of believed half of the program source and half of
rfc822... Maybe Rich B. can do that? Should he?

Btw, what should we do with X.400 addresses sneaking in into our
'real' net?

	Ignatios