Choose a project and register below.
Don't forget the project guidelines. Then look over the project ideas below.
When you're done click on the Registration link at the bottom to register for a project.
Prototype videconferencing system using Java Media Framework. The prototype
should implement at least the ability of two users to talk to each other and see
each other at the same time. (Part of
"We Think!" project). Should
work in the STC clusters.
- On-Line Chef Bartending site where you could enter what ingredients you have
and obtain a list of recipes that you could produce using your
current ingredients. Should work for food recipes as well.
- Employee Tracker Web site for entering work hours for all hourly employees and
support staff. Should include information about pager, pay, and
vacation time, and should produce reports by week, month, or year.
- Your AmaZon.com An extended shopping cart application like
includes more than one type of merchandise, improved interface that can
scale up to a large inventory.
- On-Line Postcards Postcard site - generates and mails postcards.
- Project Registration Site Improved project registration site (this program). Should include the ability
for the students to add project ideas, retract them, form groups perhaps add
text conferencing where people can meet and discuss about their projects on-line
if they can't get together otherwise and need synchronous communication.
- Library check-in/check-out tracking and reservation system. (For example,
"I am a music school student working in the IU violin shop and playing
on a school instrument. The Music school has a reasonable collection of
quality stringed instruments that are often inaccessible because they are
in poor condition or the students and teachers are unaware of what is available.
A web-based database would make the collection's lending and maintenance functions
much more efficient. It would include a photograph of and various information
about each instrument. It should be searchable by instrument type, maker, year of
construction, current loan and condition. Students would be able to browse the
collection but would not be able to find out which instruments were on loan or
to whom they were loaned. Teachers would be able find out which instruments were
available and which students had those that were on loan and luthiers would be
able to search for damaged instruments and plan a repair schedule for them.")
- Your Own QuizSite A motor vehicle license-test simulator; type in the state you are interested in getting
a drivers license from, and you get a listing of questions that are included in the driving-test
for that state. You could take the quiz and see how well you score. Should have the ability to update the database of
quizzes over the web.
- Item Locator An item-locator for people who do not want to run from pillar to post in shopping malls
looking for the product of their choice. The program would match attributes provided by
the user with existing attributes of different items listed in the database. FOR EXAMPLE
- the user goes into the 'Online College Mall', and selects 'ladies shoes'. She is then
presented with a list of attributes for ladies shoes and selects 'size 8', 'black patent
leather', 'high heels' and 'straps'. she immediately gets a list of all the outlets that
carry shoes that meet those criteria; perhaps a further functionality that takes her to
the particular shop and provides her with a list of shoe brands and styles that match her
criteria and she can choose from. Then she is informed about whether the shoe is in stock
or on order; if the latter, she can find out when it will come in and perhaps make her purchase online!
- Dynamic Maps A system that provides driving instructions and draws a map for the route like Yahoo! maps. Or a system
that shows all the bus routes in Bloomington and helps a user decide what combination of buses is the best
for a particular kind of trip in town given the bus schedules and their routes.
- Other: If you have a different idea in mind please choose this option and communicate your idea to
any one of your instructors. We will update the database with your idea and let you register for that project.
Last updated on September 26, 2000, by Adrian German for