CSCI A202 - Introduction to Programming (II)
Final Exam Information
Possible Final Exam Short Answer Items
- What is the difference between a Java applet and a Java application?
- What is the relationship between a high-level language and machine
What is Java bytecode?
- What is a variable?
- Name two specific purposes of the
- What is a Java constant? How is it different from a Java variable?
- Explain the concept of operator precedence.
- What is an infinite loop? Specifically what causes it?
- What is the difference between an object and a class?
- What are constructors used for? How are they defined?
- Explain the difference between an actual parameter and a
- How is information passed back from a method?
- How are overloaded methods distinguished from each other?
- Describe the following:
- public method
- private method
- public variable
- static variable
- static method
- What is the difference between
When should they be used?
- Explain the concept of array bounds checking. What happens when a
Java array reference has an index value that is not valid?
- How is an array of objects created?
- What are the advantages of using a
as opposed to an array? What are the disadvantages?
- Describe the Java coordinate system.
- Describe the relationship between a parent class
and a child class.
- How does inheritance support software reuse?
- Why would a child class override one or more of the methods
of its parent class?
- What is the
super reference important to a
- What is the defining characteristic of a class hierarchy?
- What is polymorphism?
- How is overriding related to polymorphism?
- What is the difference between a class and an abstract class?
- What is the difference between a class and an interface?
- What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?
- What is the purpose of an interface?
- What is a package?
- What is the primary difference between a window and a panel?
- What is an event?
- What is a container?
- What is a layout manager?
- What is the component hierarchy?
- Why would you use a
Label instead of a
- What is the basic model for GUI programs?
- Why are there many different GUI components?
- Write a recursive definition of a valid Java identifier.
- What is recursion? What is recursive programming?
- Write a recursive definition of xy (x
to the power of y), where x and y are integers
and y > 0.
- What is infinite recursion?
- When is a base case needed for recursion?
- Is recursion necessary?
- When should recursion be avoided?